Fillings are one of the most common dental treatments used to repair minor tooth damage caused by decay or trauma. They help to restore the normal shape and function of a damaged tooth and prevent further decay by eliminating the roughness and spaces on your tooth that can trap bacteria.
Paul Weintraub, DMD may recommend dental fillings in Tyler, TX to correct various problems, including:
- Severely worn teeth or eroded enamel surfaces due to grinding, nail biting, etc.
- Visible chips and cracks
- Visible holes or dark stains on the teeth
- Sensitivity to cold and hot food items
Dental Fillings - Tyler, TX
Dental fillings are typically placed in a single appointment. Dr. Weintraub will customize your treatment plan for dental fillings and help you identify the best material for your case depending on the extent of tooth decay; position of damaged tooth; history of allergic reactions to certain dental materials; and cost of the material.
The common materials include:
- Cast gold – a mixture of gold with silver, platinum, or palladium for best durability
- Composite resin – tooth colored material for filling visible areas in the mouth
- Porcelain – tooth colored material that can be mixed with metal for superior strength
- Glass ionomer – great for people at high risk of cavities
- Amalgam fillings - least expensive but will be noticeable in your smile
Many patients prefer tooth-colored porcelain or composite resin fillings, because the color of the material can be chosen to match the shade of your natural teeth.
During the procedure, the tooth will be numbed to prevent any pain when preparing the tooth for filling placement. Tooth preparation involves removal of any decay or old/damaged filling and thoroughly cleaning the site, after which a special medication will be applied to protect the tooth if the decay was close to the tooth nerve.
The repair should last about 10 years with proper dental hygiene and habits, such as avoiding nail biting or wearing a night guard to manage grinding.
Schedule your dental fillings treatment today
Fillings are both a restorative and cosmetic dental procedure to restore the normal function of your mouth and aesthetic of your smile. To determine whether fillings are the right treatment for your case, please schedule a consultation with Dr. Weintraub in Tyler, TX.